Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: File  (Read 585 times)
MLChatham
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »

Hello,I would like to know what type file most people use for their work and when..First cut..second cut..Bastard,AND brands if you would be willing to offer.Can anyone reccomend a good read on file work or machinist work.I am a starting a new set of knives and am always trying diff. ways to form my blades.I am making moslty "hunter","skinner",Bird and Trout and general purpose type knives.3 inch to 5" blades.Mike

Do not neglect your gift....1   Timothy   4:14    

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »

Welcome to the form knifeman85:
The file I use most while rough shaping guards and handles is an 8 inch 1/2 round bastard cut file.
When picking out files, find ones that are packaged individually, when files are laid together in a bin they rub against each other and after them have been rummaged through they are all dull.

I open the package and feel the surface of the file and pick one that bites my fingers the the most aggressively.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »

I prefer nicholson files. I use a flat 8" mill file the most (mostly for deburring things) and a round file for guards, and a set of 4" files for fitting guards.

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
Dennis Mashburn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »

I also use Nicholson files for my larger ones.  I have a mill bastard in 6",8" and 12".  I also have a second cut that is 10 or 12 inches.  For small files, I get them at Harbor Freight in and 8 pack of various shapes.  They are only $3.99 and sometimes on sale cheaper.  I use them till they quit cutting like I want a get another pack.  They cut real good considering how cheap they are.  I also have a few round files.

I also have ground some of the teeth off certain sides of my files so they only cut on the sides or the flats deping on the use.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: