Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: EAT SH_T AND DIE!  (Read 18804 times)
PhilL
Administrator
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »

Oh, did you think I was talking to you? I wasn?t, it?s what I say to myself. But, I did get your attention, huh?

The reason for this thread is for me to present my goals and the results of a plan to really start eating healthier to get leaner and avoid the controllable diseases due to being overweight. We are what we eat, what we put into our bodies will control how we look, feel and how healthy we are and for how long. So, Eat Sh_t and Die. Eat clean and live longer, leaner and healthier.

Why this thread on this forum? Why not?
There may be other people that aren?t happy with their weight or how they feel. So, perhaps this will open a discussion on what we can do to help ourselves. But, to be honest, even if this thread gets no response or interest it will serve a purpose for me. It will give my journey an audience and if I falter in my conviction someone else to answer to.

I did a thread last year on how I Stopped Smoking
http://knifetalkonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=1415.0.
I offered anyone who was interested the method I used, Free of Charge. I got one taker. I don?t think you can be a healthy smoker any more than I think you can be healthy if you?re unfit and overweight. Of course you can be fat and happy and have no desire to change. My goal is not to change anyone that doesn?t want to, just to show by example that change is possible. Change is inevitable, except of course from a vending machine.

I started off this year at about 240 lbs. (I say ?about? because I was afraid to get on a scale) I had hurt my knee and was walking with a cane. I don?t smoke, I don?t drink soda, I don?t eat fast food, sugar, white bread or other junk foods and snacks. I would say I eat better than most Americans, yet I was fat, not just obese, but Morbidly Obese. I needed to lose weight. I?ve lost weight before, I?ve lost 30 ponds in 30 days three or four times in my life. Twice with a Low Carb Diet (Atkins). I never did see a low carb diet as a long term way to eat, but it did help me shed pounds before. Only this time I wasn?t losing a pound a day on a very strict low carb diet. I was losing about 10 pounds a month, but I knew what I was eating, all the fat and protein wasn?t healthy in the long term. I needed another answer.

On Sunday, June 24th I was watching PBS, and I was interested in this show Dr. Joel Fuhrman - 'Eat To Live'. It?s time for a change from the Low Carb diet I?ve been on. Eat to Live is a mostly vegetarian diet, where Salad is the Main Course. Everything he said made sense. He presented a very simple program designed to help you lose 20 pounds in 6 weeks. I never had any desire to be a Vegetarian, and I?m not. The plan allows for 12 ounces of meat per week. I choose not to eat meat for the 6 weeks I?m on the program.

I started the next day Monday June 25th.
I started at 230 lbs. my waist measurement 42 inches.
Initial goal is lose 20 pounds in 6 weeks, for 210 lbs.
My Ultimate Goal weight is 155 lbs. and a waist measurement of 30 inches.

Here?s the Plan

Breakfast: Fresh Fruit
Lunch: Salad, Beans on top, and more fruit.
Dinner: Salad and two cooked vegetables.
Dessert: Fruit.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:04:41 AM by PhilL » Logged

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Dennis Mashburn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »

Way to go Phil!  Sick with it, and I know you can reach your goal.  As you mentioned it doesn't happen ovenight.

I too am on a diet, pretty low carb, but not Atkins.  It is due to me being diagnosed with diabetis.  I can eat up to 50 carbs per meal, but I usually eat much less than that.  I lost about 32 pounds in the first 2 months.  I have recently kinda fallen off the wagon and am getting back on and eating what I am supposed to be now.  In just a couple of weeks I was not eating right I gained back 7 pounds.

Stick with it.  I say that because at least for me, I had a eating routine and as long as I stayed on it I could do it and not feel like I was staving.  Three small meals and two snack per day.  Once I wavered it was so easy to say that one time didn't hurt and then that became two times and so on.  But maybe that is just me.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
Vance Perkins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »

The thread title was hilarious!!!!!
I have fought the fat battle for several years. A smart man told me once he decides every morning what and how he is going to eat based on what the scale says. Being that my favorite food group is fried. Its a constant struggle!!

Vance
Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:59 AM »

Go Phill!!

Ive never been on a diet, seems that when I work or work out, I get hungry and eat, and when I dont do much, Im not all that hungry. I think I got lucky. Although the first time I meet a new doc, they almost always ask me about losing weight, and according to thier charts, they say Im obese at 200-220 depending on what time of year, and what Ive been doing lately and 6' tall, but I only carry about 5-10 pounds of extra fat to keep warm in the winter. Im not sure why they are so concerned with what the scale says.

I would say that activity is probably your best bet. and group activity, with good folks to keep you from falling off course. I found that training with a group, on a set schedule during the week is much easier than going alone, as when you dont show up, they call asking if you are alright or just being lazy. The group I train and I do triathalons {and I just started with the obsticle type runs, did the tuff mudder a couple weeks ago in coloraddo}, and its alot of fun, the races are more incentive to keep working.

this weekend, at a sprint distance triathalon, I saw a guy that was amazing. He was 84, and although he wasnt very fast, he finished that race, it was a 600 meter swim, 13 mile bike, and then a 3.1 mile run. Had both knees taped up, walked with a stoop, and was limping after he crossed the finish line, but was smiling!

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »

Dennis writes: ?Way to go Phil!  Sick with it, and I know you can reach your goal.  As you mentioned it doesn't happen ovenight.? 

No Dennis it takes a lifetime. Losing weight is easy there are hundreds of different ways. Keeping it off for life takes a permanent change. It took you two months to take off 30 lbs about 3 1/2 lbs a week, that?s Great! You also put on about 3 1/2 a week when you decided to quit. If I had Diabetes quitting would not be an option. You know what you have to do, just do it.

I?m 63 I take no medication for anything, my only problem is that I?m Morbidly Obese.
I?ve lost 5 lbs. since Sunday. Don?t worry about me sticking with it, this is a Done Deal

Vance writes: ?Being that my favorite food group is fried. Its a constant struggle!!

Vance, the good news is you know what your problem is. The bad news is it?s a struggle you can?t win, the fried food will. You need to find another favorite food group, or another way of cooking. Try roasting instead of frying.

I?m down to 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil a day, and I eat a salad big enough to feed a family of four. The dressing I make is 1 tbs. of Ground Flax seed, 1 tbs. of water, 1 tbs. of Olive Oil, 2 tbs. of Red Wine Vinegar and a dash of Mrs. Dash (to cut down on the Salt). I have my salad one hour before Dinner.

Joe writes: ?Although the first time I meet a new doc, they almost always ask me about losing weight, and according to thier charts, they say Im obese at 200-220 depending on what time of year, and what Ive been doing lately and 6' tall,?

Joe, your doctor is trying to be nice.
Let me put this in perspective for you. I?m 5?10? two inches shorter than you, at 220 lbs. I?m not fat, I?m not obese, I?m Morbidly Obese at about 30% Body Fat, 65 pounds of FAT!

At 6 foot 200 lbs. you are not pleasantly plump, you?re about a foot too short.

Did I mention I?ve Lost Five Pounds since Sunday?

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.

Dennis Mashburn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »

Phil,

I agree that it doesn't happen overnight and that it is a life or permanat change to keep it off.  If you have it whipped great job.  Some of us are more hard headed or stubborn than other.  As far as the diabetis goes I am still monitoring by blood levels daily, and most days 3 times a day.  They are within the normal range, 80-120 according to my Dr.

Vance,

I like fried and several other bad for you varieties as well.  But I am trying to make knifemaking instead of eating my favorite sport.

Joe,

If you are doing triathlons of even mini triathlons my hats off to you brother.  My guess would be you are probably carrying around more muscle than fat.  If I was you I would just invite my Dr to one of my workout sessions.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »

Joe,
If you are doing triathlons of even mini triathlons my hats off to you brother.  My guess would be you are probably carrying around more muscle than fat.

Joe,

I think it's great that you've been able to do this kind of strenuous exercise. I couldn't do it at 200 lbs. I don't run at 200 lbs. way to much stress on the joints. When I ran in my 30's (3 to 5 miles) my best times were at about 165-170. I would lay off the weights when I would compete in corporate challenge races, muscle is still weight. The less I weighed the faster I ran. The body doesn't know if it's 200 pounds of muscle or fat coming down every step of every mile.

What's easier for me is I walk. I walk during my breaks at work and I walk home from work every night. I do about 4 miles a day. The best part is as the weight comes off the easier it gets. I will probably not start running until Sept. when I'm under 200 lbs. I'm already picking out my running shoes, and I'm looking forward to them more than a Large Pepperoni Pizza.

Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »

Way to go Phill on the 5 lbs! you will be running before you know it!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:55:44 PM by Joe444 » Logged

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
Chuck Fogarty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »

I was always very active when I was younger. In the army we ran all the time usually between 5-12 miles per day. When I got out of the military I still did martial arts and hiking a lot.

Then my arthritis kicked in which made it harder and harder to exercise (Ive got psoriatic arthritis and very bad psoriasis). The arthritis also makes me get tendonitis all the time in my knees and elbows and feet too. Right now it is a little better because I am on a drug called stellara that improves the psoriasis some.

So because I was laid up all the time I started gaining weight for the first time in my life. I went from my fighting weight of 200 to 250 and I went to the doc one day for a checkup and my blood pressure and blood sugar were very high for the first time in my life also. I went on a fairly strict low carb diet for a year and I lost down to 220 and then I sort of slacked up and started eating a little more and Ive stayed at 225 now for about a year.

During the last 3 years I have also gone from 6' 1" to 5' 11" because of the arthritis too so I am getting shorter which raises my BMI even more. That kind of stunned me when I found out I was getting shorter.

I have gone to eating only things cooked in olive oil and I try to eat more vegetables than I used to even though I really dont like them. I am still trying to stay away from carbs generally but I am not that strict about it now. I quit eating a lot of snack food. Also every time I have a meal now I try to leave 5 small portions of food that I give to my 5 fat dogs. I have also cut my serving sizes back a good bit too.

Now my blood sugar is mostly back to normal but I do take a small dose of metformin every day and I take a blood pressure pill but my blood pressure is still really high.
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 04:39:03 AM »

Chuck wrote: ?I went on a fairly strict low carb diet for a year and I lost down to 220 and then I sort of slacked up and started eating a little more and Ive stayed at 225 now for about a year.?

For me, a ?fairly strict low carb diet? doesn?t help me at all, for me to lose I need to be under 20 g of carbs a day. I need to get into the state of Ketosis for any substantial weight loss. Although I think Low Carb is effective for weight loss, it is a Very Unhealthy way to Eat. All that Fat and Animal Protein will kill you.
I first did Atkins back in the 70?s and I knew about the dangers then. Nothing I?ve read since that has given me reason to change my mind. Low Carb is not the Answer. I am convinced the ?Eat To Live? is.

I have gone to eating only things cooked in olive oil and I try to eat more vegetables than I used to even though I really dont like them. I am still trying to stay away from carbs generally but I am not that strict about it now. I quit eating a lot of snack food. Also every time I have a meal now I try to leave 5 small portions of food that I give to my 5 fat dogs. I have also cut my serving sizes back a good bit too.

Now my blood sugar is mostly back to normal but I do take a small dose of metformin every day and I take a blood pressure pill but my blood pressure is still really high.

One of the things I learned by reading ?Eat To Live? is that Olive Oil has more Calories than Butter. I don?t count calories, but I have cut way down on my use of Olive Oil, down to one tablespoon a day, that I use on my salad.

You don?t like vegetables, that?s unfortunate in only it limits your options.
What vegetables do you like?
If you like Salads, Fruit and Beans you can do very well on Eat To Live with a minimum of vegetables.

I?ve got some vegetables that I?m not a big fan of.
I want to learn to find a way to cook them that I will like them. I?m the best cook I know, not a chef, but I can cook. This weekend I?m going to be making Chow Mein, all vegetable and delicious. I?ll make enough so that I?ll have meals for most of the week. Add the salads, beans and fruit and I?m good to go.

Oh, forget about portion size, Eat as Much as you can.

Chuck, I?m going to send you a copy of ?Eat To Live?. It?s not going to cure all of your ills, but I think you?ll be as convinced as I was that this is the answer. That eating Salads, Fruit, Beans and yes a few Vegetables many of your controlable conditions will be taken care of. Read it for me and let me know what you think.I think you know that Ed and I both think  that you, your Dad and your sister are some of the smartest people we know, so I would appreciate your opinion.

PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »

When I was a lot younger and a Bodybuilder, (which was mandatory for males my age in Brooklyn) my favorite magazine was Muscle & Fitness. Although most of the magazine articles were fairly repetitious and rather hard to believe, one contributor I put total belief in was Clarence Bass. I first heard the term ?Ripped? from Clarence. My friends and I were more concerned with getting bigger and not smaller and ripped. Still the first article I turned to was Clarence. Kind of like Ed?s articles in Blade magazine.

I couldn?t read ?Eat To Live? without thinking of Clarence Bass.

This is Clarence Bass

and this is his Philosophy.

Diet & Training Philosophy, In Brief
by Clarence Bass

First, I believe every person is conducting an experiment of one. We all have different
backgrounds, needs, goals and abilities. I would never blindly follow anyone else's diet or training
regimen, and I don't expect anyone to blindly follow mine. That's why I always try to explain not
only "how" I eat or train, but "why" as well. That's so readers can understand and evaluate my
methods, weigh my advice. I expect you to take what rings true, makes sense - most of it,
hopefully - and adapt it to your special situation. Leave the rest.

Diet

The word "diet" has a negative connotation. It conjures up thoughts of hunger and deprivation.
Diets don't work very well, because they make people unhappy. That's why I never diet. I follow
an eating style. I believe the key to permanent body fat control is eating satisfaction. There's no
need to eat foods you don't like - I never do - and there's no need to ever leave the table feeling
hungry.
That doesn't mean there's no discipline involved. There is. It takes effort and planning to eat the
sensible, no-hunger way. Still, master my style of eating, and you can look forward to a lifetime of
eating satisfaction - and leanness.
The secret lies not in how much you eat, but what you eat. If you eat the right things you can
almost eat as much as you want and still lose fat; it's actually hard to overeat. What happens is
you become full and satisfied before you take in more calories than you burn.

<o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o><o>

?I believe every person is conducting an experiment of one.?

I believe that, that is exactly what I?m doing.
If you believe it or not, so are you. We are in control of what we do how we live, what we decide to put in our bodies. If you?re not happy with your results so far, do something, make changes. It?s not too late.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:36:08 PM by PhilL » Logged

Chuck Fogarty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »

I will read that Phil, Thanks!

Chuck
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »

Do you know anyone taking medication for; angina, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, asthma, fatigue, allergies, and arthritis? Are you taking medications for any of these?

What if there was a way to eat your way to wellness for these and many other conditions and illnesses.

There is, all you have to do is stop Living to Eat and ?Eat To Live?.
Is it really that simple? I believe it is.

Are you ready to stop eating shit and start eating the stuff that will return you to health? It?s your choice.

Over 90% of all diabetic patients on insulin are off it within the first month. Your body would like to heal itself, but it can?t if you insist on eating shit.

About the book Eat To Live

This book will allow everyone who stays on the program to become
slimmer, healthier, and younger looking. You will embark on
an adventure that will transform your entire life. Not only will you
lose weight, you will sleep better, feel better physically, have more
energy, and feel better emotionally. And you will lower your chances
of developing serious diseases in the future. You will learn why diets
haven't worked for you in the past and why so many popular weightloss
plans simply do not meet the scientific criteria for effectiveness
and safety.

My promise is threefold: substantial, healthy weight reduction in
a short period of time; prevention or reversal of many chronic and
life-threatening medical conditions; and a new understanding of
food and health that will continue to pay dividends for the rest of
your life.
Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:25:57 AM by PhilL » Logged

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »

PhilL:
I see a lot of book on the subject on Abe Books.
Who is the author of your book?

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »

Ed, the author is Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
Don't buy it I'll send you a copy.

Anyone else who wants a copy just email me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:24:59 AM by PhilL » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: