Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Knife Rights  (Read 22995 times)
radicat
Trade Count: (0)
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »

The subject of "knife related laws and how we are affected by them" is worthy of extensive discussion. It is complicated and wide in scope.
     First I would like to find out what others are doing about the erosion of our rights. I posed some questions to one organization that says they are dedicated to preserving our knife rights. When there is a response/reaction to my query, I will report back to you here. Then we willl have a better understanding of the problem. I simply asked these questions.

What successes can this organization tell us about?
What politicians have established themselves as being anti-knife rights?
What politicians have demonstrated a willingness to fight for our knife rights?
What cutlery industry firms have done anything to fight for our knife rights?
What does this organization plan to do about the loss of our knife rights?
How much money do you need to post this information on this forum?

Please feel free to begin a dialogue immediately, in reply to this post. Keep in mind that we can make more progress if we refrain from turning on one another simply because we disagree.  Politics is involved in this issue, but our aim should not be to do anything other than determine the cause of our loss of rights and what to do about it. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:44:36 PM by radicat » Logged

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »

Good Thoughts my Friend:  Please re,member there are no old threads on this form, all are about ideas, dreams and honest discussion.

Your thoughts reminded me of another bunch rebels who defied what they felt was tyranny. This happened way back in the late 1700's when their superiors tried to disarm them and added what they felt was unjust taxes.

0 Tolerance  = 0 thought, 0 responsibility. Riverton High school some years ago locked down the school, brought drug sniffing dogs and search lockers back packs and pockets of the students. I felt this was an unreasonable search, what I consider a breach of our freedoms, the school felt they should get rid of drugs once and for all.

I cheered when the search revealed no illicit drugs!!! The kids were more responsible than the administration.

I know beyond a doubt that if I was in school today I would be thrown out.

I wonder - could our school systems share in this behavior?

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Bil_johnson

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »

Friend Ed,

I can't remember when the following occurred (surely within the last ten years): a high school teacher was badly beaten by two football players in the classroom, in front of her students. She was in the hospital for two weeks. The school administration left the two offenders in her class, because it might 'set a precedent.' When she returned to school, she was carrying, in her purse a .22 caliber handgun, believing that if she couldn't rely on support from the administration, she would have to be able to protect herself. While talking to a 'friend,' another teacher, she mentioned that she carried a small handgun since her beating. The teacher with the gun was fired within a couple of days for firearm possession. I guess it pays to know who your friends are. She quit teaching and went into another profession. I'm sure this is not the only story out there like this one.

Living where you do (the Northwest), I'm sure that you don't have too many problems, like the one just recounted, in schools. It's been my experience that in areas of small communities, everyone has a job to do outside of school. Even where I live (Thibodaux, LA) the population is only 25,000, still it is not uncommon for there to be drive-by shootings over the weekend on a fairly regular basis, most of these seem to be perpetrated by minors.

My close neighbor - New Orleans - is much worse. It has the highest murder rate in the nation. Drive-bys form the highest percentage of these murders; very few of these involve knives. As long as this kind of barbarian behavior exists in our nation, regardless of what the law says, I will continue to carry knives (and a concealed-carry handgun, for which I have a permit). It is my view that the 2nd Amendment applies to knives as well as guns. I for one will do whatever is necessary to protect my family and friends. Knives have it over guns in that virtually all knives have at least some use as tools (I have a large Bowie that I replaced my machetes with, so it functions in the same way a machete does, as a tool for whacking vegetation in the swamp). Can my Bowie serve as a weapon, yes, just like a ballpoint pen or pencil, a thumb in the eye, a screwdriver, or a tire tool. I have seen hand guns (in one case loaded, so I ran) used as hammers. Maybe it would be worthwhile trying to link knives and guns together, politically, as being covered under the 2nd Amendment.

Another part of the problem is that cops are frightened, they never know what to expect when stopping a car or even a man on the street. I understand this; if I were a cop and stopped someone on the street, the first thing I would do is draw my weapon. If the suspect has a knife in his hand, the cop has his gun in his holster, and the distance is less than five or six yards with the suspect running at the cop, the cop is dead (if the suspect is running full speed and he is seven yard or less away, the cop might have a chance of clearing the hoster, but no chance of aiming). The cop knows all of this, I think at least two cops should be on scene at the same time, two to a patrol car.

I'm blathering Ed, I hope you find something in this worth reading.

Bill
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »

I belive that, knives and swords should be covered under our 2nd amendment rights. But, I think of my knives as tools to be used for work and camping, kitchen work and wilderness hiking and for those that hunt and fish. So I am hesitant to want to parry my knife rights under the 2nd amendment. It seems that the government wants to classify knives under the weapons catagory.

Hmmm, it is worth us to keep working on the thought.

Harold Locke
radicat
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »

quote from our post concerning the Heller decision and how it further upholds our right to own and use knives: http://knifetalkonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=732.0

Knives are in no way excluded from the protections of the Second Amendment.

Future challenges to existing laws pertaining to cutlery will be strengthened by this decision.

Finally, I'll make my point in another way. This decision was 5-4 in our favor. We were one Supreme Court appointment away from the decision going against us. Remember that when you vote next time for a President. If the decision had gone the other way, a push to take arms out of the hands of the public would already be underway. As "arms", knives would be subject to confiscation right along with guns.

We can't have it both ways. The only way we can protect our rights to own and use knives is by holding to our founding-father's intent to include knives and swords in the realm of arms. There is no provision in our Constitution for protecting our right to carry any object we want, just because we say it is not a weapon.
Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »

I am thankful that I live in a state that is truely knife friendly.  In Maine, I can literally carry any sized blade I want as long as it is not concealed, not just durring hunting season, year round.

My thinking is that we don't need restrictions, just better education on knives, swords and guns.  Education is everything in our world.  It is unfortunate that it is the uneducated that misuse all arms.

Again, I am thankful I live in a knife friendly state.
Revtwo
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2009, 10:42:18 AM »

Ed Fowler just got quoted at http://www.knifelawonline.com/what-people-are-saying.html.

Please donate in the effort to enact Knife Rights legislation in New Hampshire to expand their citizens' Knife Rights.  It's an effort that could reap dividends for us all. This is the beginning of a nationwide movement. Thanks!
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »

Thee are many times that being able to open a knife with one hand is always a benefit to the owner and sometimes a very valuable and life saving asset. Our problem is that most folks live in cities where this asset is not often as appreciated as it is to the man living close to nature, the fly fisherman or one in trouble with a rope or line.

It is up to us to make the significance of this asset known to our legislators. AKTI is one place that operates without a profit and has but one goal, to make knives a lawful aspect of our lives.

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »

In my opinion, any organization that requires dues or asks for donations should be ready and able to show exactly how and where the money coming into the organization is spent. An open and honest disclosure provides clues to who you want to support.  Money many times a curse to honest folks who find it easy to spend it for them selves rather than to the cause they claim to support.

Every now and then someone sends me a list of organizations and where the money goes. While this does not absolutely guarantee the legitimacy of the organization the information is better then nothing.

This is one reason our mission statement is clear and emphatic, There will never be any dues - ever!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: