Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Knife Rights  (Read 22994 times)
radicat
Trade Count: (0)
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »

The subject of "knife related laws and how we are affected by them" is worthy of extensive discussion. It is complicated and wide in scope.
     First I would like to find out what others are doing about the erosion of our rights. I posed some questions to one organization that says they are dedicated to preserving our knife rights. When there is a response/reaction to my query, I will report back to you here. Then we willl have a better understanding of the problem. I simply asked these questions.

What successes can this organization tell us about?
What politicians have established themselves as being anti-knife rights?
What politicians have demonstrated a willingness to fight for our knife rights?
What cutlery industry firms have done anything to fight for our knife rights?
What does this organization plan to do about the loss of our knife rights?
How much money do you need to post this information on this forum?

Please feel free to begin a dialogue immediately, in reply to this post. Keep in mind that we can make more progress if we refrain from turning on one another simply because we disagree.  Politics is involved in this issue, but our aim should not be to do anything other than determine the cause of our loss of rights and what to do about it. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:44:36 PM by radicat » Logged

Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »

Ed,

I am kinda with you on that, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel. And now days there seems to be a lot of bad apples. I noticed that on a commercial that has been running on all the stations out here in california where this kind of normal looking guy is dancing with this beautiful woman. Some kind of macho good looking kind of guy is moving in towards them in the crowd. She goes behind the guy she is dancing with rubs her hands over the butt of her dance partner and pulls a CRKT Side Hog out of his back pocket. Goes bettween the legs of another dancer on the floor and runs the blade into the stomach of this macho guy. She then does a great manuver and back to dancing with the normal guy. I have seen this now six or seven times and I still don't know what the commercial is about.

All I know is that unless those of us that love knives, and understand the utility of them have to set a good example and teach all we can about the positives of our hobby and craft.

I think you are trying to raise an important point here. I would like to know more about what is rolling around in your head.

Thanks Ed

Harold
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:39 PM »

Thanks Harold:
I seek ways to change the bad immage of knives.

One thought is that on graduation from the public schools the graduates are given a special gift to signify their freedom from the establishment (public school). A knife and along with it an expression that they should never again live a day not being prepared to do the job they may have to do. Even if it is only cutting some shrink wrap from a package, the significance of the inconvenience they have been forced to put up with is no longer.

Accompanying it would be some classic literature that denounces the politicially correct sentiment the public schools are trying to develop. All cultures destroy themselves from within, maybe something like this may grant our way of life a slightly longer life span.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
radicat
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:13 PM »

Ed, I am constantly amazed at the number of grown men that I run into that don't carry a knife. I've given all the knives that I don't want to keep to some of them, in the hope that they will learn to carry instead of trying to open their Twinkie or candy bar with their keys.

I hate to advocate it, but if I have to buy a fist full of cheap (Chinese?) knives to give away, I will. I'll tell them to start looking for a real knife to be proud of though.

We're about a generation behind in educating people, but we must try, if we hope to preserve our rights.

These small gestures like you suggested above can go a long way. I have given very good knives to a close friend and I noticed that he still doesn't carry, but at least he has one on his work bench now. There is hope.
Clay
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »

That is a big part of the idea Clay, get knives in all the hands we can.

Alan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 08:08:25 AM »

Self-protection....thats why most all of my friends ask me to change my knife design to another that they have in mind.

Most guys that shop around for a new knife, (even a work related type knife) will also have in the back of their minds, "self protection"
The last time I went to the news stand looking to see the new BLADE mag I also noticed that the shelves were stocked with 3 types of Knife mags and about 20 different gun mags. 
The one thing they ALL had in common was that on each mag cover there was a photo of what could only be seen as a "weapon".

Thats the mind-set people have.
People that buy knife and gun mags at the news stands, are drawn to the concept of owning a weapon.

Thus, the lawmakers in our country will feel the need to slap some laws on the use and ownership of weapons.

One kid goes to school with a knife to show off, or perhaps to pull on another kid he has had some trouble with.
The school then will need to pass a rule to stop that from going on in the future.
As there is no way to do that without a total ban on all knives, (even plastic butter knives in a lunch sack) thats why you end up with Zero knives allowed at all.

The way things are going , I might end up only able to make 2 inch folders one day...
Todd Robbins

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »

Hello All

My wife and I have been in Boston for 10 weeks with our newborn son in the hospital here (we live in SW Florida).  Today we took a walk to a local shopping center to get out for a while. I bought a mango in the grocery store and sat outside on a bench with my wife and struck up a conversation with another couple we met where we're staying.  I took out my pocketknife, a yellow handled Case trapper with carbon steel blades, and began peeling my mango.  I didn't think twice about it until I noticed the looks I was getting from some of the passers by.  I'm amazed by how appalled and afraid some of the people looked by a simple slipjoint pocketknife.  For some reason, our favorite tool has evolved into nothing more than a kitchen utensil for most urban and suburban Americans.

Todd
radicat
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »

The following link leads to a BBC story about multiple tragedies, beginning with the death a young man and ending with the enactment of anti-knife policies.

On the right side of the news page you will see a heading "SEE ALSO" Start at the bottom story about the 19 year old that was found guilty of murder. Then return to the page to follow the next story above that, and so on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/6949566.stm

I don't want to seem like an alarmist, but this story is worth knowing about.

The statements made by those involved are typical. The result is predictable, even in the United States.
We are at the edge of a precipice and the next step will be painful.

I didn't mean to get into what can be done here, but my concern prompts me to make more comment.

I have been an activist all of my adult life. I have been a strong advocate of organizing for causes that concerned me directly and indirectly. It has cost me dearly, both personally and professionally.

There is a price to pay for every worthwhile pursuit to right a wrong or to prevent it.

My experience has taught me one thing above all. No matter how much the oppressed complain about the antics of politicians and mis-directed do-gooders, the only way to prevent them from doing harm is to
take their power to do so away.

In short, WHEN WE HEAR OF A POLITICIAN IN ANY POSITION, WHETHER IT IS AT THE LOCAL COMMUNITY,
COUNTY, STATE, OR FEDERAL LEVEL, EVERY EFFORT MUST BE TAKEN TO REMOVE THEM FROM OFFICE OR SEE THAT THEY NEVER GET IN THAT OFFICE. If you cut the snake's head off, it will die.

We can't turn our head just because it isn't a problem in our community or our country for that matter.

If the politician in question survives the election, they will at least be re-thinking their actions until they are successfully removed.

If we can tag contributions made to knife rights organizations for that purpose only, and if it is in fact used for that, then and only then, will we see successes instead of promises.

If we cannot rely upon organizations to carry this out, then we should alert others of the threat and give the necessary information needed to make a contribution to the campaign of whoever is on our side.

We can be sure that any politician that thinks about betraying us, will think twice.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:45:50 PM by radicat » Logged
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 08:12:50 AM »

For some strange reason I never considered a knife a weapon until I saw a movie where a man in the woods heard a strange noise and drew and unfolded his pocket knife for protection. I thought WOW!

I guess it was because I grew up watching men sitting on the courthouse bench whitleing, some making slivers, some smooth sticks, and one who carved a rabbit. This was the immage of knife I grew up with. Knife games like sticking it in the grass, then mumbelty peg and sharpening pencils.

I think that the more used folks get to watching friendly knife use like Todd described the better off we will be. This is one thing every one of us can do at no cost. Go to the park, peel an apple, carve something maybe even sponsor a mumbelty peg contest. Kids who participate and watch will be the future grass roots of the anti knife resistance movement.

radicat
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 08:40:08 AM »

Ed, you are so right. We can each make a contribution in seemingly small ways that will have a great impact
on the lives of the younger generations.

My very first job for pay was when my father took me to a job-site with him at the age of six. My job was to keep the pencils sharp for all of the carpenters there. I used my own knife and of course have never been without one since.   

I saw a web site selling knives for a buck each in lots of 100. I thought how fun it would be to just hand them to those that had no knife to show me. But, how do I keep from being arrested for inciting free thought?
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »

I picked up a couple of boxes of those knives to give away to kids at shows. The first kid happened to be pretty knowledgable, came back and showed me all the faults in the construction and wanted a better one!!  I think that maybe his grandfather put him up to it!

Most kids would be very happy with one.

radicat
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 10:03:03 AM »

Let me give you an example of knife law that is so open to interpretation that the citizens of New York
are not sure they can own any knife legally. Total banning is closer than people know.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/ny.txt

In particular, read Section 265.15, last paragraph.

If I owned a knife store or manufacturing facility there, I'd be moving west before the Brown-shirts came to bust down my doors and clean me out.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:10:21 PM by radicat » Logged
radicat
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »

Don't let your daughter draw a knife at school. This story is a good example of the insanity that is overcoming the country when it comes to perceived dangerous weapons. Time to check for dangerous tattoos!!

http://movie.moldova.org/stiri/eng/68580/
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »

I agree, it is time we took  the education of our children out of the hands of many public school systems. I had hopes that when they were talking about tax support being removed from public to private schools things would change. The law did not work out and the situation becomes more out of control all the time.

One ray of hope, the penddulam swings back and forth, I just hope it does not take too long.

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »

The challenge we face will not be won by fighting at the highest level. If we win, it will one little battle at a time.
Years ago a youth was susbended from our local school. Although I did not know the student and had no vested interest in him, the fact that he was suspended caught my attention.  I went to the principal to attempt to get some facts. He told me that his hands were tied, he had to suspend the child because of "federal law". I asked him to see the law, he said he would have it for me the next day. I returned, he said he could not find it and that it was not his job to research the law for me.

I did a little checking and had my attorney check into it for me. He could not find the federal law, nor could the schools attorney. I was ready to go to court, but the child's parents did not want to aggrivate the school admisistration.

Every now and then we have the opportunity to stand up and fight for our freedoms. We can chose to ignore the opportunity or we can chose to fight. The win or loss of freedom happens one grain of sand at a time.  It is individuals who make a difference.

For those of you who read blade you have seen my ad for my fighter, dedicated to those who decide to fight. When Tena gets time I will see if she can post it up here.

radicat
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 09:04:28 AM »

I'm sure that the refusal by the parents to pursue the matter was frustrating for you. I've been in the position to help others many times, but could not convince them to take action to right a wrong against themselves. I get particularly disappointed when those same people keep grumbling about their situation. I can point to several instances on-going at this time. I remain hopeful.

My work is related to the educational system. I am concerned about the lack of security that is so obvious. Criminals are made aware through the media that no weapons are allowed on school campuses. Not even in the employee's vehicle. There are police officers at many of the schools, but the tendency is to place the
ones that are not physically fit in that position. They are useful for dealing with trouble kids, but could not provide a deterrent for anyone determined to come in to do serious harm.

A phone call for help can be done by anyone. By the time help did arrive, the criminal would be in control. And, as we have seen, the objective does not usually include coming out alive.

I am trying to convince someone of authority to at least allow the development of a training program for a
"First Defender" group in each school. The response to date has not been encouraging.

If the concern is that students will turn on one another with a weapon, that is a false premise. Any child can quickly figure out a way to hurt another. I witnessed a fight when I was in high-school between two boys. One boy was "whipped", as they say, but he was not willing to give up. When the other boy walked away in what he thought was triumph, the beaten boy jumped on his back and began stabbing him in the face with a fountain pen. That boy had a polka dot face from the tattooing he got that day.

In today's world children should not be left defenseless. A high-school principal in Texas wanted to teach the students to take action by attacking, in mass, a crazy that might come to their school to assault them.
He got nothing but bad press from the media and mixed response from the parents.

At a minimum every school should be enclosed by a high security fence and have all students and personnel enter through a manned security gate. The treasure being protected cannot be replaced.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:15:21 PM by radicat » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: