Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oak Handle Slabs  (Read 794 times)
B.K. Mains
HEPKA Member In Good Standing
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »

In chat last night we talked about, or I talked about it anyway, that I had an oak post I was going to cut up for handle slabs. This post was cut to shape over a hundred years ago with an ax and mattock and used to frame a house next door to me that was torn down last summer. I have hit it with a hammer and it just bounces off, it is really hard.....

Well, I cut it today and I hit the jackpot fella's. It is beautiful inside. Nice figure and burl and a bonus, worm holes! I love worm holes. I have made cabinets out of slabs like this and they came out stunning!  Shocked

Now here's the deal: I am just a poor hillbilly, so if anyone wants one or two or three, if you will pay for the shipping and five bucks for the box and tape, I will ship you one out. I have slabs and blocks. I didn't get as many good pieces as I thought, after all, it is a hundred years old and has cracked a lot drying out, so it's first come, first served.  Grin

Ed sent me a blade blank of 52100 so his pieces were hand picked and will be shipped for free. Chris, I have included a couple of blanks for you in Ed's box because he said you would like to see something different to work with. No charge bro...... Wink

So, if anyone wants them, please reply with your name and shipping address and I will ship them out. Payment will be based on the honor system I use. If you don't like them, send them back and I'll refund your money.... Kiss

Once again, remember that I give my personal guarantee that these are one of a kind blocks, beautifully figured with twists and knots. I am not selling anything for profit here, I am sharing a beautiful piece of wood for anyone who wants one. If bought off a dealer, these pieces could bring 50 dollars for blanks and a hundred for the blocks.

Thanks for listening........

Update: After counting rings it was decided that of course these are at least over a hundred year old trees, so the house was over a hundred years old, which means they dried out for over a hundred years. This is red oak and they are hard as rock, nice ring structure and easily counted. These could easily be over two hundred years old or more. They could of been here before our nation was formed..... Wink

BK.........    

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:48:13 PM by B.K. Mains » Logged

If I had one, good knife......
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »

B.K.

I sent you a KTO personal message about a burning desire to get some of that if the availability is still there. If not, oh well. Hope you keep a bunch for your own blades.

Thanks
Harold Locke
B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »

Really, I have so much wood around here I never need a piece, it's just how I want it to look. These pieces are way bigger than folder scales, this is for the most part 2x2x7 blocks, mostly solid......

Your on the list. Check your Message's.......... Wink

As a side to this, around here we have sassafras tree's every where. They are soft enough that the creeper can vine them when they start out and put "twists" in the wood underneath. Around here they are made into canes. I am trying to make a set of twisty sassafras handles..... Grin

Oh boy, another wood project that is on the border. It may be too soft to make. Well, if I do, I might be the first.

Another update: I just thought of this. If you have a piece with a crack or whole that's in the way contact me and I'll guide ya thru the process of how professional's deal with them. Really nothing to it....... Cool

BK.....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:24:59 PM by B.K. Mains » Logged

B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »

I am expecting to ship next week sometime, finally got ahead and got two more nice pieces that I will bee sending along, a real nice piece of Poplar with lovely green figure mixed with brown and some real nice mahogany. These slabs will becoming along to those that want them...... Cool

BK......

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: