Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: More of Ed's beauties!  (Read 3151 times)
davidm
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »

As some of you may know, i am somewhat of a scavenger of photos of Ed's knives i find online. Here are a few photos i have added to the virtual museum:  Grin. Which are your favorites?

davidm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »

maybe an early one here? ,

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »

The last knife is an early one, named the Willow Bow Beaver Rim. If it has its name engraved on the other side it went to one fine man who used her a lot. By looking at the scabbard this one was carried a lot. Handles were straighter and the drop point more significant.

You sure come up with a lot of photos and darn if I can't remember each one.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:32:58 AM »

Which are your favorites?

My Favorite from the pics would be #1 and #6. I like a nice belly on the blade and a dropped butt.
But, to really appreciate or choose a Fowler knife is not by looking, it's by closing your eyes and letting your hand decide.

I first met Ed in 1998 at the NYCKS. I had always carried a knife, but I was new to the idea of "custom" or "collecting" knives, and this was my first knife show. I knew of Ed from magazines and was very impressed by seeing them in person. Ed encouraged me to pick one up. When I did I just closed my eyes and just tried to absorb everything I could about the knife by feel alone. First impression the handle felt like marble rather than any horn I had ever felt. Most important it fit my hand perfectly. I just smiled. When I opened my eyes Ed was smiling at me. I didn't buy that knife even though it was perfect. I left that show with two Spyderco knives, they were in my budget and my comfort range. But, I knew what direction I would be heading.

By 2001 Blade Show I was ready to buy my first Ed Fowler knife. Ed's table was my first stop. I think there were 15 knives on his table, different shapes and all beautiful. I handled every one, each felt great, none was the one. Ed said not to worry we'd figure out the perfect knife and he would make it for me. I went back to his table many times and handled each knife again and again. I really did want to leave with one. Sunday came and I was going around saying my goodbyes and Ed said he had one more knife. The buyer for this last knife had not shown up. The size and the lines were perfect. As soon as I picked up the knife and closed my eyes, I knew I was going home with my first Pronghorn.

I'm a visual guy, but some times your other senses are more important.

David, your depth of knowledge for Ed's knives I believe is unmatched and your collection is amazing.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Vance Perkins

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »

Wow!
Thank you for posting this.
The colors in the handle of # 5 are gorgeous. I'd hav to hold each of them to decide which was the best for my uses.

Do you have all of them on a website??

Each of them are unique. Kinda like people no two are alike.
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »

Thank you Phil, you pay me a real compliment. You have a great story of your first meeting Ed. I dont think i knew all the details before, of how you had missed that first opportunity.

On the knives pictured here i think i would most like to see knife #3, personally.  It looks like it would be an ideal knife to use everyday. 
Here is another early knife: (bladegallery photo) - not signed on the back, though.

Hi Vance, there is no website- i just add the photos to a photobucket page.
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »

"What about Bob" was an article Ed wrote of a man he once knew that hid his knives in his car to keep them out of reach of his wife. 

This was Bob's knife:

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »

David - you aced it!!! That knife is one of one, the only one engraved like it and made for one of my best friends who is long gone.
sure brings back a lot of memories.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »

Thank you Ed, i must say i cannot talke credit in any way for these photos- most are borrowed from bladegallery and/or elsewhere.  Here is one on Phil's photo site (hope he doesnt mind) - i love the composition of the photo, script just looks beautiful with the Bowie!
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »

Here is one on Phil's photo site (hope he doesnt mind)

Of course I don't mind. I've always felt that once I put a photo on the internet it's impossible to stop anyone from using it. Why would I want to? You'll notice I don't have my name (or watermark) on any of the photos, digital painting or photo montages that I've done. I don't think it's necessary. I think there's people that recognize my work even if they don't know my name.

The photo of the Rendezvous Bowie was taken by Ed Fowler. I just worked on it a bit in Photoshop.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Vance Perkins

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »

I wish we could get all of Ed's articles on here with all of David's pictures.
That would be a great thing to have on our forum.
Just my opinion.

Vance
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: