Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The High Endurance Performance Knife Association  (Read 7696 times)
B.K. Mains
HEPKA Member In Good Standing
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:09 AM »

Ed has asked me to draw something up for the association to look at and discuss among us so here it is. Now guys, don't get mad at me because a word is misspelled or something doesn't read right. This is only the first draft and will need to be edited and proof read before anything is final. I have taken the liberty of picking the good stuff from several threads here on this subject, so don't be surprised if you see something that's familiar...... Wink

The High Endurance Performance Knife Association

"One single and significant aspect that enables the development of impressive knives is freedom-the knife makers freedom to make what he feels he must make, the freedom to express his emotion and create his statement to the world of knives. Some will hear his message and it will be both hated and loved. Some will see and hear his honest message as revealed thru his soul mate, lady knife.

Freedom from those who judge art and dare to enforce their preferences on others is the maker's gift to himself and the world of knives.
The knife-maker who knows true freedom does not seek approval; his knives are for him, with devotion and purpose in mind. He can explain each and every aspect of his art. Through the discovery of it's use, everything that can be seen and felt has a reason for being. Handles from corncobs to solid gold can and have qualified as art. The knife-maker who learns to fly higher and faster through his art does so without speed limits or restraint.It is simply being there, his quest for perfection, which makes the knife.

If your knife touches you, it qualifies as art. If it honestly and with knowledge touches you, it will touch others.

Many artists live in poverty; their gift is to those who share their dream. Dreams are not an economic entity; they are expressions of freedom when a healthy, active mind seeks self through art.

In my opinion, when organizations seek to define art, when they seek to judge art, they fall into the muck of critics that have plagued art since the beginning of time. They also make the artist who knows true freedom special."  

Ed Fowler, Blade Magazine June 2005 "Brass Has No Class."

Purpose:

The purpose of the High Endurance Performance Knife Association is to bring together all the disparate members of the knife world and let them express themselves freely and openly here on this forum, whether it be in the making of a HEPKA knife, or the making of any knife as long as it is what the maker wants to make and follows his desire.

We will disparage no other organization for it's standards of testing. We are not here for that. We are here for the free and open expression of knife makers wisdom as expressed in their art. Nothing else is the business of this group or should be listed as it's aims.

Ethics-
1. All HEPK designated knives are to come with a full unconditional guarantee for the life of the maker.

2. The maker is required to do regular testing of his knives to ensure quality standards are met and to help gain more knowledge of his work.

3. We, the makers of HEPK knives, are forthright and honest about what our knives will do.
4. We hold nothing back, all information and knowledge is shared freely for the benefit of the knife community.

5. The associations only desire is to expand the knowledge and promote further study of the High Endurance Performance Knife.

6. If, at any time, an association member is suspected of misrepresenting his work, he can either submit a knife for testing or a group of association smiths can buy one of his knives and test it to see if it meets the HEPKA standards.

7. If found to be dishonest in his practices the member looses his HEPKA status until it is reinstated by the association.

8. If any HEPKA maker should desire to make an art knife, or knives that will not stand up to the requirements of the HEPK, he can do so,
but must be honest about the performance qualities of the individual blades he puts up for sale.

9. The HEPKA is a group of makers who want to work with other knife associations out there to bring the knife making community to the next level.

11. The HEPKA's main focus is on hard working knives that are meant to withstand any amount of abuse that a person could put their knives through.

12. The HEPKA accomplishes this through the sharing of knowledge freely with others and also through the rigorous testing of their knives.

13. The HEPKA does not compete with the other associations, but seeks only to add to the pool of knowledge for all to use.

14. Honesty and integrity are the key foundations that we stand for to accomplish this.

15. Makers, collectors and knife enthusiasts as well are welcome. To make a better knife we need input from all members of the knife community.

Articles of Operation:

1. All decisions about the direction of the association shall be made here on the forums (knifetalkonline.com) by the members.

2. The members shall be in charge of the direction and rules the association takes in it's quest for the HEPK.

3. In order to operate, membership dues shall be asked of the membership. These monies shall be used strictly to support the associations activities and for no other reason unless voted on by the entire membership. A treasurer shall be appointed by the board and shall be responsible for distribution and investment of all monies and shall act on the instructions of the membership.

4. In no way is the HEPKA bound by any other rules than the ones that it makes. The HEPKA is not formed in contradiction to any other knife organizations, nay, it is formed for the sole purpose of allowing any knife maker to have freedom to make his knife.

5. In pursuit of the HEPK, great strides may be realized by the sharing of information. Indeed, this association welcomes any and all experience from it's members to be shared here for the benefit of all makers.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:07:36 PM by B.K. Mains » Logged

If I had one, good knife......
B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:34 AM »

First update and edit guys....... Wink

Any comments would be appreciated......

BK.......

Dennis Mashburn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Not ignoring you B.K., I'm just not qualified to advise on this.

I do think having to send your knife around to 3 members to get authorization to stamp it would be a pain though.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »

Ok, I wondered about the way that would be read, but you only have to have it approved for a stamp once until you need an update, not every blade...... Grin

BK.....

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

I invite all to join in on this discussion, it may be that we take one item at a time, and do not be bashful about selecting what you want to discuss.

I hope that the HEPK can be organized in such manner that there is no hierarchy that dictates to members, all should be equals or at least treated as such.

All organization activities will be open records so no one will wonder where we are going or why and every member would be welcome to contribute.

When a question comes up, rather than wait for the next board (which hopefully will not exist) meeting  decisions can be made here on the form with the benefit of all who wish to participate.

Just a couple of thoughts

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »

See Ed, that's what I need, input on this so we can get it right. Thanks for pointing it out to me...... Wink

BK.......

jared williams

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »

thoughts about an HEPK knife-
What constitutes a knife being an HEPK? I have had many conversations with ED and Chris over a minimum standard for a knife to be consdidered HEPK. In earlier threads it has been discussed as a knife able to cut a minimum of cuts in hemp rope and to be able to bend multyple 180 degree bends etc.... i feel these standards need to be in accordance with the type of knife made. For example George L makes a great fillet knife out of titanium that is surely an HEPK knife, although it will not take multyple bends, it will cut forever. and the knife excells in it's purpose.
I hope that the HEPK can be organized in such manner that there is no hierarchy that dictates to members, all should be equals or at least treated as such

i agree with this statement 100% if a board is set up the board is there to help promote the HEPKA and be a liasion to the knife community. and to help establish the basic standards of what a HEPK is.In no way is the board to influence what type of knife is "allowed" by the HEPKA.

When a question comes up, rather than wait for the next board (which hopefully will not exist) meeting  decisions can be made here on the form with the benefit of all who wish to participate.
i like this idea. "board meetings" can happen every tuesday night on chat with any and all welcome to join in and discuss whatever they wish to discuss Grin

there's a couple more ideas

When the student is ready the teacher will appear.
B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16:09 AM »

See guys, this is exactly what I mean. All of us to be involved, all of us to make the decisions. There might be something that you don't agree with, so sound off and let us know......

Ed said I've already earned my membership, so I am happy......... Grin

BK. Proud member of the HEPKA........ Cool

B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »

All right guys, third edit. Ed, pay close attention to the new wording in regard to the "board".... Grin

I think I got it right this time........ Wink

Another edit at 2335 eastern time..... Grin

BK.....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:35:31 AM by B.K. Mains » Logged

Dennis Mashburn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »

Looking pretty good.

I agree with Jared.  But it looks like we now need some performance guidelines.  Cuts. flex, ect. 

Also can a folder be a HEPK, or maybe the blade in a folder as I don't currently know of a folder that could be put in a vice without failure.  (maybe there is one)  Just something to throw out there.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
Chuck Fogarty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

This sounds interesting. I will be waiting to see what you guys come up with for testing guidelines. Im actually more of a historical/ art knife maker myself, but I do like to get the best performance that I can.

Chuck
B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »

BD......

But it looks like we now need some performance guidelines.  Cuts. flex, ect.

This is Ed's prerogative. he will let us know what he thinks needed changed and all.....

Also can a folder be a HEPK, or maybe the blade in a folder as I don't currently know of a folder that could be put in a vice without failure.  (maybe there is one)  Just something to throw out there.

Of course it can. Just make sure before you put the blade in the handle to send a copy to Ed for testing, or someone he certifies to approve the blade and you will have a HEPK...... Wink

I believe though that folders might not qualify as HEPK knives just because they will have a catastrophic failure if pushed to the limit. The pin will snap. This is a very good question and I will make sure Ed see's it....... Cool

Chuck.....

This sounds interesting. I will be waiting to see what you guys come up with for testing guidelines. Im actually more of a historical/ art knife maker myself, but I do like to get the best performance that I can.

We will come up with testing guidelines but they will be for a blade wanting to be stamped with the HEPKA brand. This does not prohibit someone from making anything, it just assures the customer that he is getting a HEPKA blade that is certified by the group if he wants it.

BK.......
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:04:36 PM by B.K. Mains » Logged

larnotlars

If everyone knows IT, IT likely ain't true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »

I think that, if you ask Ed, he will discourage stamping HEPK blades because a deep stamp is a stress riser, and goes against the principals he teaches.

Ever since I took up forging, I have noticed that I am much less likely to hit my thumb with the hammer! 8-$
B.K. Mains

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

Since this is all Ed, he can decide what he wants to do........

An etching like a brand is the idea and I see no problems with that.................. Smiley

After Ed gives his input I will work to make the changes into a viable solution. We have to remember that this in an association, but it's ED's association so we are now waiting for his input and energies he is willing to put into it........

BK........

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 05:58:18 AM »

We are in the middle of a follow up seminar, Chris is here and we will be offering some thoughts, Tomorrow we have to replace a clutch in my pickup, then will get to work on these thoughts.

One thing I would like to avoid is any semblance of a hierarchy for they tend to to progress to a dictatorial mode, It is my hope that we can be considered equals dedicated to:
1) absolute truth when representing our knives.
2) An organization where no one is afraid to make suggestions to improve the organization.
3) A patch should be as good as a stamp, they are affordable and I have an outfit working out a price on the HEPK patches, should have an answer this week.
4) one in which all members and visitors will be treated with respect and dignity.
5) An organization dedicated to lady knife and seeking to afford educational discussion about her history, present and future.
6) An organization, just like a person or yes a knife has integrity, it is this integrity, coming from the maker or visitor that will encourage all  to bring their life experience to our discussions with out fear of retaliation.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: