Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Knife that got me started!  (Read 2274 times)
Gus Mundt
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »

Well when i was about 10 years old i had a collection of boughten knives and none of them seamed to hold a edge very well, and one day when i was complaining about it my dad told me well why don't you build your self a good knife, and my dad had some 154CM and he showed me how to make my first blade and i was blown away at how much use i got out of my new blade then i ever did with my boughten knives, that was probably one of the best things i could have ever gotten from my dad, then about 6 years ago my dad was looking at one of my blades and told me i could build knives beter then he ever could man that just threw a smile on my face.  So he doesn't know it yet but fore his birthday this year i am building him a knife from some 52100 that i have with a nice sheep horn handle, because he was the one who got Ed's book fore me and a Ed's movie fore me, and a subscription to Blade magazine when i was young which has helped out a huge amount over the years.  So thought i would share some pics of my first blade my dad helped me build using 154CM and Stock removal.    

* 001 509x338.jpg (57.25 KB, 509x338 - viewed 395 times.)

* 002 509x338.jpg (51.89 KB, 509x338 - viewed 383 times.)

Gustav Mundt
Harry Mathews

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »

Good looking first knife...or tenth knife. I'd use it.

Harry Mathews
Second Twin
Twin Blades
www.twinxblades.com
Member of The Knifemaker's Guild
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:34 AM »

You did very well Gus: Your knife has a point, you would be surprised how many blades lack a good point. The point is what gets you into your work and makes the job ever so much easier.

Looks like you blended the handle to the guard as much as possible, this is a good thing. A lot of knives look like the maker just slid a washer over the tang to serve as a guard. My first knives were made much this way, using them convinced me I needed to change the design.
The guard on your knife looks like it is big enough for safety and still does not interfere witch your hand while using the blade.

You put a lot of thought into the design of that knife.

Congratulations!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »

Great story and knife, Gus. A lot to be proud of, i know your dad will love it.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: