Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another blade from 5160  (Read 2010 times)
Gus Mundt
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:11:43 AM »

Well i hammered this blade out of 5160, annealed the blade 3 times, hardened the blade 3 times, and tempered the blade 3 times, I made this while i am waiting on some more 52100 that i ordered, i was running low on sheep horn so i had to try somthing else so i have a bunch of mule deer horns laying around so i figured i would use some, the handle feels good in the hand but if you where to flip the blade around in your had like you where going to rip up threw a rib cage then the handle is not the best, mostly just made this knife fore fun, i like to try to improve on every blade i make so i have to keep making blades even if they have no where to go, but in my room, i am trying to improve on my grind lines trying to get a nice even line, i have been messing around with the tension on my belt grinder trying to improve so i will keep posting pics to see if i am progressing.  Other then that the blade seams to take and hold a great edge, I have been taking it out with me every day to feed the cows and i cut strings from big round bails every day with it and shows no sign of needing a sharpening yet, i will try to do some testing with her when i get a chance other then round bails.    

* 016 509x338.jpg (34.68 KB, 509x338 - viewed 250 times.)

* 018 509x338.jpg (30.19 KB, 509x338 - viewed 246 times.)

Gustav Mundt
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »

Wow Gus that looks great, nice work! Antlers are fun another type of challenge to get them to work and fit the way you want, well done.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
SBranson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »

Looking good!!  Be sure to let us know how the testing goes.

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »

I like your honest temper line and transition zones, you are doing very well, stick with it.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »

That blade looks like it could be a picture from your first book Ed!

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
Gus Mundt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »

Thanks guys I sure like to hear encouragement coming from such great knife makers, It is somthing i love to do i make allot of knives fore my self but a person can never have enough knives to look back on and study and see what you have changed in your blades, I have seen a huge increase in performance when i went to forging my blades out, before i was just doing stock removal and i can honestly say i am hooked on forging all my blades from now on.  I have another knife going right now from some 52100 fore my self, and a few other blades from 5160 i will try to post some more pics.

Gustav Mundt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: