Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: William Butcher bowie pic  (Read 4732 times)
Chuck Fogarty
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »

Hey Y'all,

I had hoped that I could get this knife up here a lot sooner than now but it has been kind of a rough year. I finally finished it up a couple of months ago. Ed, I got that book "Cats paws and catapults". That was a very informative, entertaining read. Phil, sorry, still havent gotten any better at the pictures yet.

This is a reproduction of a William Butcher bowie that is on page 96 of "Bowie knives and bayonets of the ben palmer collection". It matches the original in most respects but is not a exact duplicate by any means. It is not a perfect knife, being my first one of this type of knife, but I think it turned out fairly well. It is forged out of 5160 that was edge quenched and it shows a nice visible hardening line. The handle on this knife was hard as all get out to make. I got a huge amount of silver soldering practice on this knife handle LOL. Anyhow, hope y'all like the pic and thanks for looking at my efforts.

Chuck Fogarty
www.fogartyknives.com
Chuck Fogarty or Fogarty Knives and Crafts on Facebook

* butcher bowie right side super small sized.jpg (67.19 KB, 672x504 - viewed 442 times.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:00:31 PM by Chuck Fogarty » Logged
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »

Hiya Chuck, thanks for posting that beauty.
You're doing some very nice work.

As far as the pic goes, I don't think it's bad.
What I might suggest is; rather than have the light come from the right, have the light come from behind the knife so that it is reflected in the blade. Instead of shooting the knife going left to right, try turning the knife on a diagonal, with the point pointing to the upper or lower left corner of the frame. It's a better use of the space.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Chuck Fogarty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:19 AM »

Thank you for the kind words, Phil. I really appreciate them. With my disabilities knifemaking is getting harder for me every year. It took me almost the whole year to finish this knife. The photo tips will come in handy, thanks for those as well.

I am getting ready to do some japanese type bladesmithing and I may need your photo expertise in getting good shots of the blades with the hamon really showing good.

Thanks again you and everyone else for looking at my knife pictures. I really appreciate it.

Chuck Fogarty
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »

Chuck, I'm here for you. If you have any questions about how to take pics of your work, or if you need any of your pics touched up in Photoshop after you've taken photos.

Just email me at,
philip.labarbera@gmail.com

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: