Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Boise Show This weekend  (Read 1902 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2010, 08:04:10 AM »

The Willow Bow Crew, Eldon, Chris, Butch and I are heading out for Bose knife show this morning. Hope to see those of you who can make it at the show.    

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
davidm
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »

Any photos?  Would love to see some of the knives too, or hear about what you took along. Please give us an update, show review.

- i checked plane fare just to see.. for me it would be a 8 hr. trip w/ 1 or 2 stops and well over $1000 ticket.  (eek!)
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »

This was the first Boise Knife Show, for a first show it was great and has the potential to be a great show, the folks putting it on fell into some of the traps  most knife shows fall into, but they threw in a great many new and innovative pitches.

For example in the same building but through different entrances there was also a gun show and a flea maket. The folks running the knife show had a table in the gun show and sold tickets to the knife show for 1/2 price. They came around to each and every table asking how we liked the show and if we had any suggestions for next years show. The officials were plain folks like you and me, the kind of people you can call friend from the start.

First and most important, many visitors came to the show, not many thousands, but they kept coming through the door all three days. This was one of the most friendly shows I have ever been to, visitors walking up to my table and thanking us for supporting their show.

The cutting competition was held inside and drew a good crowd, in talking with one of the organizers he let me know in no uncertain terms that the knives used were compeition knives, designed and developed specially for the events.  We talked about safety and after listening to his thoughts there was no longer any question that they had put a lot of thought into safety.

Chris Reeve had a cutting board on his table and did a lot of demonstrating kitches stuff as well as shaprening some blades for clients old knives.

There were some old hands there, some I have never seen at a show before, but Icons never the less. Dwight Towell was there with his bride, she did her job as a knife makers wife, wathced the table while he visited other makers.

As soon as we get my computer working I will post up some photos.

davidm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

Hi Ed,
What was the setting like there? City or rural?
I do hope you guys can post a few knife photos. We love to see them! Smiley
David 
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »

The show was at the fair grounds, surounded by geese eating on grain fields, but still in the city which is growing up around it. No dogs were allowed on the fair grounds, so the cement was green thanks to the geese, but this was not a bad thing.

My computer crashed and the one I am using now does not have much working stuff in it yet so pictures are out of the question until after Monday when I should get my old one back. Some of you may have noticed I don't have access to spell check yet.

I took some photos and they await in my Pentax, I hope!

The show was severeal miles from the hotel where we stayed, it was a great place and only cost $53.00 a night + all the taxes cities like to push on folks visiting for Eldon, Chris and I who shared a room. The whole city put the welcome mat out for us, at least the places we visited.

There were beauty quens and working knives, lots of new makers. Young ones with a lot of desire and some making good working knives, at least they appeared to be good working knives. You never know until you have used one, but their deisgns were well thought out. One man brought me a copy he had made of a copy of a knife that was probably copied from a knife about 200 years old. He was enthusiastic that he had been able to make it, even copied the damage someone had done to it! Wink

It was a good show, photos maybe by Wedsday.

davidm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »

... He was enthusiastic that he had been able to make it, even copied the damage someone had done to it! Wink

Ha! that's real enthusiasm! Smiley.  Thanks for the show description, Ed. I did come across
one photo of you at this show with a smiling blonde beauty. Lucky cowboy!   
Here: (from other forum posting)

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:09 PM »

That is a photo of Kim, my adopted daughter, we adopted each other about 20 years ago. We shared many good times for a few years until she finished nureses training. We worked cattle, pulled calves, built fence and all the stuff that is done on a ranch. She returned to Seattle, and her family.

Thanks for finding the photo and posting it up here David.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: