Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Loveless is greatly missed  (Read 1150 times)
Harold Locke
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »

Just received the monthly California Knifemakers Assoc. newsletter and the annocement of our great knifemakers passing.

Bob's knives and his knifemaking book have been one of my delights and insperations for making knives. I got to meet him last January one of the highlights of my life. Did not realize that he was with lung cancer at the time. He was full of life and had a great sense of humor and joked around with all of us and showed signs of plenty of fight in him.

He showed us all a couple of his latest knives the one that I got to look at closely was impeccable is all I can say to describe it. Not a blemish of any sort on it. It was perfect. The makers mark on those blades were hand signed B.O.B. Bob stated that they stood for "Bad Old Bob". I was truley blessed to be one of the twenty or thirty guys to be at the CKA meeting that day.

Below is a quote for this month's newletter.

"Robert Waldorf Loveless was born in Warren, Ohio, January 2, 1929.  He left this earthly life peacefully at 11:30 AM, Thursday September 2, 2010 at his home in Riverside, CA. 
His last words,  "I'm going out one door and into another."  Bob had lost his battle with lung cancer."

Missing Bad Old Bob

Harold Locke

Hartman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »

When I was stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vagas, NV I went down to the gun show at the Sahara Hotel. Across the hall was a knife show so I went in. This was in 1977 , or 78, and you could throw a hub cap across the room, and not hit anybody (a little different nowdays). Mr. Loveless was at his table with no one around, so while I was looking at his knives I started asking a few questions about his methods. I ended up sitting with him for quite a spell. He was very pleasant, and patiently anwered all my silly questions. He also laid out a little knife philosophy.
 I've heard over the years that he could be ornrey, and didn't suffer fools lightly. Well he suffered this fool for about an hour, and was as nice as could be. I'm sure that he will be missed by many.
Bob
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »

Bob would work with folks honestly and respectfully wanting to know. He would not tolerate rudeness and would respond with what you might call enthusiasm.

I was talking to Mike Lovett yesterday, we had a good talk about Bob Loveless. There was a time when the Guild wanted to limit membership numbers in order to cut down on competition. Bob made the statement that the custom knife would be a success when there was a custom maker at every country crossroads as each new maker brings his own clients, friends and family with him to the community.

Bob was a true leader in his thoughts, actions and work. He made his knives his way, developed a huge following and earned every bit of it.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
bladesmith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »

I never actually talked with Mr. Loveless. But I have read several articles about how he got started in knife making , one being "the gun digest book of knifemaking, by Jack Lewis and Roger Combs.

I enjoyed how he got started and it was an inspiration to me.

I hope he is in a better place.

Palmer...

Water Quenching Steel for more than a Decade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: