Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Texaco Type equivalent available.  (Read 5408 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »

This information comes from W. Cowboy Saddler, one of our members. The folks who make it state it is the exact same as Texaco Type A Quenching Fluid.

Subject: RE: Prices and availability of your product in GA.

Just got the info from our blending plant.

Cf-010-5/1         GLOC-Quench A            $10.85 gal.        $54.25 pail

We can ship from our plant in Bristol, IN. direct to you. Plus UPS in 3-5 days.

Walt Routt

Sales Engineer

440.352.9050 phone

440.639.8010 fax

wroutt@greatlakesoil.com

www.greatlakesoil.com

Satisfaction: 100% of our products and services are guaranteed.

Reliable: On-time, courteous, respectful professionals working for you.

Quality: Products, Services and Professionals - get the job done right the first time.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Will
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:34:48 PM »

Has anybody tried it yet?  Would be great to find anouther supplier of type A, I'm down to about 4 gallons, should have bought a drum when I first started.

Thanks for the link Ed.

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms
local

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:21:40 AM »

Try using water, it's super cheap and the viscosity never changes...good luck...!
larnotlars

If everyone knows IT, IT likely ain't true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »

Last year I met a Conoco engineer while doing a blacksmith demo. He recommended their product called Hydroclear Quench Oil 22 for 5160. He sent me the datasheets and a list of Colorado distributers.  I just never got around to using enough to justify the 55 ga purchase.

If anyone wants the pdf's, I'd be glad to forward them, or if there is an appropriate place to post them, tell me how?

Lar

Ever since I took up forging, I have noticed that I am much less likely to hit my thumb with the hammer! 8-$
larnotlars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »

Actually, never checked to see if I could get smaller quantity either. Just bought 5 gal while visiting Ed at Willowbow.

Ever since I took up forging, I have noticed that I am much less likely to hit my thumb with the hammer! 8-$
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »

Texaco Type A is an 18 second quench, I don't know about the Conoco oil.

I got on to using Texaco Type A from Bill Moran and have experimented with it exclusively. Maybe other makers in the future will be interested in working with other oils and comparing results.

Eldon and I have about 175 gallons of the last of the oil with a Texaco Type A label, and hope to find a way to ship it to those who want to work with it.

caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »

Actually the viscosity of water does change. Brine or salt water, a traditional blacksmiths quench is different from "staight" water and then there is ice. Wink What are the pros of a water quench vs. oil?

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
larnotlars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »

From the mouths of noobs... but this is how I understand it...

Water has the ability to cool/freeze the structure very quickly, but is hampered by the vapor release and inconsistency, it also might give excessive hardness, resulting in an increased risk of a broken or warped blade.

Brine decreases the formation of the vapor blanket, so it could reduce the risk of warpage, but speeds cooling, so could still result in more cracks than oil.

Oil at the same temp as water will cool the blade 44% as fast (http://www.navaching.com/forge/quenchants.html), resulting in somewhat less (but more consistant) hardness and a lower risk of deformation and cracking.

The temp of the quench also changes the result, water become less effective when the temperature gets higher (my guess- because the vapor layer generates faster the closer you get to boiling).  Oil based quenches become more effective at higher temps (I expect the lower viscosity allows more heat transfer.

The other variable is the steel.  Is it O-1, w-7, a-3, h-13...  I've been told that only the W steels do well in water quenches, but that they do well in oil as do O steels. 

I've read a few books on knife making as well as DVD's and they all recommend oil or transmission fluid for 5160 or 52100. 

Of course, my beliefs will be worth more when I finish my first real knives rather than blacksmith tools...

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

D-Vision: I am very pleased you found this thread, I have been looking for it but my computer skills are very shallow.
I posted on it just to revive the thread.

To all, when ever you get that warning message about topics being old, please ignore it and post if you feel the desire.

D-Vision

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »

I found it on Google looking for Texaco type A

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.-- Albert Einstein

check out my site(currently in the construction stage):

http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Will

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »

Has anybody tried it yet?  How does it compare to Type A?  And do they ship to other states?  I send an email to them, will see what they say, I could use a couple more 5 gallon buckets and I should be set for the next 20 years or so.

D-Vision

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »

I sent an email to.

Will

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »

Got a reply back today, and ordered a couple of 5 gallon buckets.  According to the MSDS and data sheets, it's a paraffin based oil, they don't give a speed, but from what I can tell it sounds like it should be the same as Texaco type A.  Cost of shipping two buckets from OH to MS was 65$, which isn't too bad.

D-Vision

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »

Is Texaco type A  some kind of paraffin?

Will

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »

Texaco type A is a mineral oil, and mineral oil is paraffin based if I'm not mistaken.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: