Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 52100+sub zero....  (Read 1872 times)
mgugliotta
Trade Count: (0)

www.mgugliotta.com.ar

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »

Hi. Here you can see 3 videos that I take some time ago.

The blade was forged in 52100 steel, 3 time quenched, and before the temperd I made a sub zero treatmend. The idea is to produce a total conversion of retained austenite.
Treatment with liquid nitrogen must be made up to 20 minutes after the last quench.

remember that the 52100 has a 30% retained austenite in normal conditions.

KevinSalonek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »

Thank you for the videos, they were fun!

We have it of good authority (ED & Rex) that there are gains to be make chilling 52100 steels.

Have you done any test comparing liquid nitrigen to a freezer for 24 hours?

As we all know that the crysteline structure is a product of 'time & temperature'  I am just wondering if going colder (-195F)  is working for you like longer (24 hour at 0-F ) ?

Glad to see your test,
mgugliotta

www.mgugliotta.com.ar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »

Thanks for your coment   Smiley

Yes, I have compared the home freezer (-18 C?) give me 1 to 2 RC extra hardend to my 52100. So if you put a 58RC blade to the freezer it may come out with a 59 or 60RC. After liquid nitrigen and before tempering I mesure one 52100 blade at 65RC  Grin

But we are not talking about RC, the  martensite conversion  is complete and with a very stable structure.

More the successive 3 quenching I think produce some diferents from a conventional heat treatment.

Saludos

Mariano

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »

Mariano: I most sincerely thank you for sharing your testing results with us. No one man can learn it all, each of us who commits to testing adds to our knowledge and will provide fodder for future bladesmiths to learn more than we can in one short lifetime.
I appreciate your dedication to testing and sharing.

Ed Fowler

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: