Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Nearly there..................................  (Read 1138 times)
gmusic
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2009, 05:39:23 AM »

Hey all,

I've been anticipating the day when my 50lb Little Giant would be finished and it's nearly here.  Just a few finishing touches, maybe some paint and she'll be pounding away!  This has been a nine month project for me, when completed, she'll be better than new...............................exciting things lie ahead!    

* DSC03287.JPG (92.01 KB, 511x681 - viewed 143 times.)

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »

That is beautiful Gary: One thing I learned is that you want to paint her quick, once you grease her up and pound some steel she will take a lot of cleaning up before you can paint her.

As you may have noticed my hammers while at one time had individual colors are slowly becoming more alike all the time, the color is known Black Oil. A friend used to wipe his powerhammer down after each use, it sure was pretty, but he spent about as much time cleaning the hammer as he did forging steel.

Over the next 20 years or so you and your hammer will come to know each other well. When you find a nut or bolt laying on the floor around her, never figure it came from some place other than your hammer. You saw the result of neglecting a new sound when my 100 pound hammer nearly cratered. You fixed her the easy way and she is still working beautifully. Be sure and spend the extra pennies for lock nuts and always try to find where that nut you find on the floor came from.

I wish you nothng but good times with that hammer, all the work you put into her makes you partners for life!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:37:42 AM »

This is great to hear Gary, I would love to see the wonderful knives you will make in the future.
Where were you able to find a little giant.
gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:06:27 AM »

I?ve got her all painted up and ready to come home.  I have to place a call to Sid for the final adjustments on the guides, then she?ll is ready to go.  I can hardly wait to get the hammer flying to see how it?s going to perform.

Jimmy, I found it in Bakersfield in an old machine shop and brought it up here in the back of my pick-up.  I made acquaintance with a fellow here in Cottonwood that has a blacksmith/machine shop and we set out to rebuilding it.  He built up with bronze the badly worn sides of the hammer head and milled it back down to proper size.  I have done most everything else with his guidance; a boring list of items in a total rebuild.

I wonder how long I?ll go before my first complaint from a neighbor comes in?HuhHuh?.

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: