Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pronghorn Adventure Knife  (Read 37461 times)
Harold Locke
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 05:16:39 PM »

David is right, have to have the journal written in the hand, blood, sweat and tears of the adventureer.

Harold Locke
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »

I agree its all about the personal story and experience.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
danbot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:09 AM »

Maybe some kind of suggested format would be helpful to non-writers.
for example;  Start with documenting the location of the hunt and what game is being hunted, how many and who is in the hunting party etc.

Then it could go "Day one, Day two" etc.  And they could record anything interesting or funny that happened, what thier hunting strategy is and so on, if there is nothing to report about the knife.

They should also take a note pad with them and write it down there first, then do thier "good" copy in the journal later. (not too much later though!)

Just a few thoughts.

Dan.
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »

That sounds like a great idea. That might make it a little less intimidating.

byron

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 05:10:01 AM »

Good Morning folks, All of these "Adventure Knife" suggestions are really good. My only question is once you get your hands on one of Ed's ultimate cutting tools and actually used her for what she was born to do, how could you possibly let go?   BYRON

BYRON M.
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »

The idea of a traveling note book is a great one, this way the main diary would not be lost as easily and they could write during the quite times that come naturally while hunting.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »

Bryon,

I've had my hands on the "Adventure Knife" and it is hard to put down!  Most of Ed's knives are................

Maybe I'll pony up some bucks and take it along with me on this years elk hunt to bring me luck!  Lord knows I need it.................

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »

Haven't heard in a little while, what the Adventure Knife up to right now? Any trophys or awe-inspiring feats?

Phil Dwyer
Aspiring Bladesmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »

Hi Folks,

This sounds like lot of fun! I love to write and have a couple thoughts that may be worth considering.

• Have the makers written in the journal yet? Perhaps if they cracked the ice and made comments from time to time as the knife came back in that would help?
  • It might be a good idea to have some "official" scribes. Maybe the adventurers should submit a brief description of their pending hunt  (details as previously suggested) with their check and one of the scribes could write it in the journal prior to sending it out with the knife.
  • It probably would help to have a bit of a punch list following that first scribed entree to aid further input.
  • Maybe it would be good to make the punch list an optional fill in the blank format. Don't just ask for cold facts either. Possibly include question like...
    • What are some of your first impressions and memories of your first knife(s)?
    • What are some of your impressions of this Pronghorn knife?
    • What was your best day of this hunt?
    • Ect...
  • Have the adventurer return the knife with their notes optionally written directly into the journal or on the fill in the blank form that came with it (which a scribe would then enter).
  • Maybe have a best journal entree award?
  • If there is the possibility of the journal being published, such as in one of Ed's articles or on the web, maybe you need to give the adventurers an option to indicate they wish to remain anonymous? Of course they'd miss out on being heroes for the rest of us though!
Well just a few thoughts. Have fun guys!
All the best Phil
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:30:55 PM by Farmer Phil » Logged

Phil Dwyer - Hawaii
Harry Mathews

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »

I haven't paid any attention to this thread until now. It is a great idea. I hope it continues to be a success and the knife continutes to gain in character. Sharpening is ok, cleaning is ok, refinishing......never! Just my opinion. No knife is better looking to me than one that shows its miles and this one is starting to look good.  I hope to be reading about this knife for many years.

Harry Mathews
Second Twin
Twin Blades
www.twinxblades.com
Member of The Knifemaker's Guild
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 08:03:24 AM »

Great thoughts Phil! Right now the little adventurer is takeing a breather, just got done doing some calving in its home state and is waiting for hunting season to roll around again. If any of you guys is planning a great camping adventure this spring or summer let us know. Its up for any adventure!

KevinSalonek

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »

Getting stories will just take time, hard to write much about a knife on a non-productive hunt.

It might be a little intimidating to some to test their writing skills in Ed's presents, those of us that join in chat see that we all spell and typo at about the same level! (cheers Ed  Wink )

Having sent a knife on an Alaskan hunt with a Licensed-Guide and his client, just hopping for a couple pictures of her in a kill. They did fill their Bull-Moose and Brown Bear tag, Skinned the bear, boned the moose and killed the edge very well for me!

All I got was a verbal story that was priceless!

It seems that they needed to transport the moose-head on a commercial flight, as carry-on luggage! In preparation they scraped every speck of meat and tissue off that head and admit that was where and how they killed the edge.

Hoping to share that the visual I get with them taking turns trying to make that head somewhat airline-presentable is simply priceless!

The Adventure Knife idea will pay off tremendously!   
gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »

I hope someone is keeping a log of where this knife has traveled.

I go on many adventures where I don't need a knife, but it's always there.

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »

As predicted the writing is not getting done, figure I will have to do it through interviews and just maybe they will sign it. Possibly a tape recorder for the record, then write it up for the journal.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Gus Mundt

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »

LOL that is one of the best ideas i have heard in a long time, very neat i hope that knife gets allot of use and allot of good storeys.

Gustav Mundt
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: