Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pronghorn Adventure Knife  (Read 52996 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »

The Photo work is compliments of PhilL, and a great job he did.

Blade length 3 7/8ths, handle 4 1/2 inches.

Here she is in all her glory! This is a knife that I made a cosmetic error in the final grinding, the edge is slightly off center from the ricasso. I was going to make her a test knife, then Chris said "no" she is too good for that. At first I was going to make myself a new knife out of her for myself, but Chris came up with a great idea.

Make her an "Adventure Knife". One that folks could use as she was meant to be used for the cost of postage and insurance from the Willow Bow to them and back. They simply have to write a check or money order for $1,500, I cash the check, they use the knife on their hunt and return her for a full refund. Only one catch, they have to write in her diary, recording their experiences shared with her. All submissions become our property and will accompany the knife for as long as she lasts.

What do you think?

Chris: please add your thoughts and PhilL I kind of messed up with the link, but figure you can fix that.    

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:51:35 PM by PhilL » Logged

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Harold Locke
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »

Wow,

I think it is a great idea!! Sounds, like she could also produce some interesting content and keep me renewing my Blade subscription. Of course I wouldn't let my Blade sub lapse. Reminds me I have to send in my payment this payday.

Harold Locke
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »

Thanks for the plug Ed. I can't take total credit for the idea, I got my insperation for it from a bowhunting article I read about keeping a hunting journal. I think the idea is going to be fun. The only thing I could suggest is that it not go to total strangers. It should go to friends of members or friends of friends just so we can keep track of it a little better. Here's my "pitch":

The Adventure Knife

Are you gearing up for the hunt of your life?

Is the African safari you?ve always dreamed of just around the corner?

Or are you simply waiting for opening day and the good times with family and friends?

No matter what adventure awaits you in the great outdoors you want the most from your experience. You know success is about the right place, the right time, and the right gear. You wouldn?t compromise on your boots, your bullets, or your gun, why not take the best knife made today?  You can?t afford it you say, you?ll make do with that old one in the glove box. Don?t short change yourself on the most basic, essential tool man has ever known. On your next adventure take the Adventure Knife! The hardest working, toughest knife made. Hand crafted by Ed Fowler with working knife knowledge and real world experience, this knife will do everything you ask of it and more.

Have you ever picked up an old knife, or perhaps your grandfathers knife, and though about the stories it could tell? What it?s done, the places it?s been, the history it?s seen? Now you and everyone else can know those wonderful storied. The adventure you have with this knife will be recorded along with the adventures of all those before you! You may never get to Africa or Alaska but you can read and feel the experiences through the stories the knife has to tell, and the tales will keep growing when you add your story to the book!

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »

Today the adventure knife is on her first hunt - Archery Elk about 30 miles west of Riverton.
This coming Thursday she is going elk hunting again, she has a waiting list of folks who want to use her. Will report on her times as I receive them.

cfendley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:01:09 PM »

This is a great idea guys! Will we be able to read the diary?

JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »

This is great! Good idea Chris.
Imagine the countless pictures and stories that will accumulate.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »

Chris worked on her also and when we get together and she is back at the ranch I will have Chris sign his name on her also.

She has been elk hunting 4 times, archery twice and now rifle Bull Elk season. So far no one has connedted with an elk.

She went antelope hunting and got to field dress, skin and bone two antelope. I told the man who took her to work her hard, he did!! Brought her home covered with blood and she wears the marks of her first game. I touched up the edge and she went right back elk hunting and will be out most of this week.

I meant to take some photos, but only had an hour before she had to go after elk. Will post photos when I get her back.

It is very exciting getting feedback on the work she has done and listening to the dreams of the hunter along with success and failure of the hunt.

Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »

Ed and Chris,

This is exciting stuff. Eager to here the stories as they happend.

Thanks Guys

Harold Locke
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 06:58:50 PM »

To date she has been on 5 elk hunts and one antelope hunt. I do not have a report about her last elk hunt, so far 4 have been skunked. Her first ad is in Blade this month, she already has a few who want to use her, but the man who has her now is not real eager to turn her loose. She does have a real nice diary, donated by the first man to use her. As soon as I can get my hands on her I will take some more photographs and post them up along with entries to her diary.

Israel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »

Great looking knife Ed.  And what a great idea you guys came up with. It will be very interesting to track the life of this knife.  I can only imagine the place it will go and tasks it will accomplish.

Sorry I haven't been around in a while.  Been a bit busy here lately.  Things are going good though.  We finally got our forge set up though we are having problems with getting a supply of fuel. So far all we have been able to get is charwood. It works but goes quick.  I will try to post some pictures soon if the internet here will let me.

Ed-did you ever get the package I sent you?
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »

Hello Israel: I just got it today. Very interesting and thanks, they will make a great article.
Your use of charcoal is a big part of the blacksmith trade since the beginning of time. I sincerely hope you will be able to share these thoughts as you progress. It will be good to hear what does not work as well as what does work.
Take Care Friend
Ed

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »

Here she is after 7 hunts, two antelope and one calf elk.

As usual a hunt is just that a hunt and sometimes a harvest. The antelope took two days. Elk Hunting is another deal, first there was archery elk - she did not get to go to work, but spent 3 days in the field.
Then rifle bull elk season, 7 days hunting, she came close several times to getting to go to work, but ended up getting carried in snow, rain, cold and some good days but no bull elk. Then came cow calf season and three more days in the field and finally she got to field dress, skin and take the legs off of a calf elk. The man who used her has a lot of stories to tell and is writing them up now.

One of the men in the hunting party decided to donate a journal he made for her record book. He made the paper, bound the pages and his home made leather cover.

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »

So far I find her easy to send on an adventure but records of the adventure very slow coming in. I will have to do some executive decisions, with the aid of Chris. Folks use her but don't like to write, maybe getting their deposit on her back will come when the story is received.

One of my thoughts is to have one person who has respectable hand writing do the recording in the journal, this way they will all be readable and kind of related in writing style, but not changing the words of the author., Just his signature and keep the individual records stored separately.

The idea is that she is writing her thougths through the author.

Any thoughts?

Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 03:57:25 AM »

Ed,

Almost everyone has a cell nowadays. Most cell phones have an audio recording device a digital memo pad and they also have cameras not always the best quality but they work. Maybe these could be used and submitted when the knife is returned home???

Harold Locke
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »

Ed,
I think seeing these stories written in the hand of those who used the knife would be of key importance as a document,  more important than if handwriting is legible enough.   
Stories might be slow coming in, but journal should travel with the knife.  Should insist (as prerequisite) something be recorded, by any and everyone. Even if knife is unused, should say so on a separate page in the back, "I took knife on loan- remained unused, dated and signed"" ... 

Also,  i like your idea of presenting this opportunity on the other forum.   I think there would be an enthusiastic response.   Maybe unpredictable..  That's a wild bunch! 
David
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: